Alex is a Partner in the Commercial Real Estate group. He acts for landlords, tenants, REITs, First Nations, developers, franchisors, franchisees, lenders and property managers in respect of industrial, commercial, retail, renewable energy, residential, restaurant, cannabis and office leases.
Alex also acts for clients on a number of corporate/commercial matters, including advising on, drafting and negotiating various commercial contracts.
JANUARY 19 2021
Weekday Update: Moratoriums on Evictions and Distraint Proceedings Against Commercial Tenants
In a bid to assist commercial tenants, there are currently two moratoria in place on the exercise of eviction and distress rights against commercial tenants, one which relates to the now defunct Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance ("CECRA") program and the other which is tied to the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy ("CERS") program.
NOVEMBER 12 2020
Come See The Many Sides of "CERS": New Targeted Government Support Program to Help Businesses Through the Pandemic
On November 2, 2020, the Government of Canada introduced Bill C-9, which sets out details of the new rent support program called the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy ("CERS"), which was previously announced on October 9, 2020. Bill C-9 would serve to amend the Income Tax Act (Canada). As of the date of this article, the legislation has yet to receive royal assent and remains subject to change.
The new rent subsidy provides support to qualifying businesses, charities, and non-profits that have suffered a revenue drop as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. CERS effectively replaces the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance ("CECRA") program and provides more flexibility and accessibility to both commercial tenants and property owners.
MAY 20 2020
Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Update: Relief is Almost Here, But Will Everyone Play Ball?
APRIL 28 2020
Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance: Relief Is On The Way, But The Devil May Be In The Details
While tenants attempt to negotiate relief from their lease obligations, landlords are concerned with the absence of relief from mortgage or realty tax payments, creating a clear tug-of-war between these parties during an increasingly difficult time.
FEBRUARY 13 2020
I Can’t Hear Myself Think! (Part 2)
I Can’t Hear Myself Think! (Part 2): My Landlord is Undergoing Renovation/Construction:
What are Potential Tenant Rights and Remedies?
Paper presented at the Law Society of Ontario's Six-Minute Commercial Leasing Lawyer Program .
MARCH 19 2019
Speaker: ICSC Legal Conference
Alex Kolandjian led a roundtable discussion at the ICSC Legal Conference.
JUNE 26 2018
New Developments in Real Estate Law
Join Joel Farber, Alex Kolandjian, Kenneth Movat and David Thiel for a discussion on recent developments in real estate law and how they may affect your business. Topics to be covered include:
- An update on the OMB and planning reform changes. Bill 139 fundamentally changes the planning appeal system in Ontario. Learn about the new rules, requirements and restrictions that will affect your planning applications and the approvals process.
- An analysis of Ontario’s new standard form of residential lease. Learn about who has to use the new form, when it has to be used and some of the key concepts contained within.
- Ontario’s Construction Lien Act is on the verge of being replaced with the new Construction Act. Hear about the significant changes to lien procedures, prompt payment legislation and adjudication. The first round of changes will take effect July 1, 2018 and the second round will come into effect 15 months later on October 1, 2019. Don’t be caught off guard.
- The Condominium Act, 1998 and its regulations continue to go through a number of changes. Learn about the most significant changes to date, how condominiums and property managers are dealing with the practical effects, and what changes are anticipated going forward.
MAY 09 2018
Ontario’s Standard Form of Residential Lease
As of April 30, 2018, residential tenancies in Ontario that are subject to the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (i.e., most apartment, condominium, house and secondary unit tenancies, among others), must use a new standard form of residential lease...
APRIL 30 2018
Speaker: ICSC Legal Conference
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Armenian Bar Association
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 2008
- Osgoode Hall Law School, J.D., 2007
- York University, B.A., 2004