Jared is a partner in the firm’s Health Law, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Groups. His practice focuses on health and administrative law as well as civil litigation, including:
- Representing health professionals, including physicians, pharmacists, physiotherapists and audiologists in regulatory matters before the various governing Colleges in relation to discipline matters, complaints, investigations, registration issues and other matters under Ontario’s Regulated Health Professions Act and Health Professions Procedural Code;
- Representing medical residents with issues related to registration and training;
- Advising organizations and individuals practicing under Ontario’s various primary health care models in relation to association and cost-sharing agreements, privacy issues and electronic medical record (EMR) transfers and splits;
- Advising physicians on privileging matters under the Public Hospitals Act;
- Acting as counsel to registered vendors to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s Assistive Devices Program;
- Providing legal and strategic advice to healthcare technology start-ups and entrepreneurs;
- Representing family members in a contested guardianship application under the Substitute Decisions Act;
- Acting as counsel to licensees under the Retirement Homes Act, 2010;
- Providing regulatory advice to individuals and businesses in connection with the establishment and structuring of medical clinics;
- Acting as counsel to a participant in the Long-Term Care Homes Public Inquiry; and
- Representing plaintiffs in medical malpractice litigation.
Jared has negotiated the settlement of a range of disputes, and has appeared as counsel before a variety of courts and tribunals in Ontario, including the Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, the Financial Services Commission, the Licence Appeal Tribunal, the Discipline Committees of various health profession Colleges, various academic tribunals and a Commission of Inquiry.
APRIL 01 2021
New Guidelines for Maintaining Health Privacy in Virtual Care
As virtual visits become an accepted method of providing health care, it is important to ensure that health privacy laws are observed. Whether care is provided by telephone consultation, video conferencing or secure messaging, providers must be mindful of their obligations relating to the collection of personal health information, health information security, and ensuring that those involved have the necessary training in privacy and security.
JUNE 19 2020
Congratulations to the Foglers lawyers elected to the 2020-2021 OBA Section Executive
Congratulations to Albert Engel, Samantha Green, Olga Samsonova, Jared Schwartz and Bill Taggart on being elected to the 2020-2021 Ontario Bar Association's Section Executive.
APRIL 03 2020
Can a Physician Refuse to Work During COVID-19?
As media sources detail a supply shortage among COVID-19 first responders, physicians are questioning where the line is drawn between their right to refuse unsafe work and their duty to provide care.
MARCH 27 2020
Caution for Physicians During COVID-19
As COVID-19 cases surge, medical regulators are taking swift action to ensure that drugs required to treat the virus are prescribed based on evidence, and that they remain available to patients who need them. A directive was issued this week from the Ontario Pharmacists Association, Ontario Medical Association, and Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario, which can be found here. The Directive reminds medical professionals of their obligation to educate patients that treatments for COVID-19, like with any illness, need to be evidence based.
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Administrative and Regulatory
- Commercial Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Independent Health Facilities
- Governance and Regulatory Matters
- Employment Law
- Professional Regulation and Discipline
- Complaints, Discipline, Fitness, Quality Assurance and Registration
- Professional Liability Claims and Insurance
- Mental Health
- Hospital Privileges and Credentialing
- Judicial Review and Appeals
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 2013
- Western Law, Juris Doctor, 2012
- McGill University, Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), 2009
- Ontario Bar Association, Health Law Section Executive, Member-at-Large
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, Member of Council
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyers Association