Lawrence advises a wide variety of business clients, ranging from owner-operated businesses to large corporations. Lawrence acts for clients in all aspects of the business life cycle, including general corporate and commercial matters, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions and business succession planning.
Over the years Lawrence has acted for both lenders and borrowers on numerous secured financing transactions, including substantial multi-lender transactions.
Lawrence also advises clients with respect to residential and commercial real estate and leasing matters. He was interviewed and quoted on the topic of estate freezes in an article in Morningstar entitled "How Retiring Business Owners Can Zap the Taxman" and has spoken on various topics at the North York Chartered Accountants Association, the Etobicoke Chartered Accountants Association and the Canadian Bar Association Annual Institute.
Lawrence coaches his two sons in a local rec hockey league, plays hockey himself and skis and cycles when he can find the time.
NOVEMBER 01 2018
Multiple Wills Alert!
A recent decision of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Re Milne) may affect the Wills of clients who have used multiple Wills to reduce probate fees. If you have Primary and Secondary Wills in place, this court decision may put that planning in jeopardy...
- Banking and Financial Services
- Mezzanine Financing
- Senior Debt Financing
- Commercial Real Estate
- Acquisitions & Dispositions
- Commercial Leasing
- Corporate Commercial
- Business Succession Planning
- Commercial Agreements
- Private Equity
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Asset Acquisition and Divestiture
- Asset Realization
- Corporate Reorganizations and Transactions
- Owner/Manager Tax Planning
- Wills and Estates
- Estates and Trusts
- Probate Planning
- Succession Planning
- Wide range of experience in financing, merger and acquisition transactions (both share and asset transactions)
- Lead counsel for institutional lender in significant multi-lender financing transaction
- Negotiating service agreements and product distribution agreements
- Acted for significant commercial client on cross-Canada corporate restructuring
- Advising on commercial leasing, both landlord and tenant side
- Acting for receiver in real estate aspects of sales of several co-op housing projects
- Involvement with development process and Land Titles Act first applications for large Ontario resort
- The purchase, sale and financing of commercial properties
- Advising clients on various estate planning matters, including wills and powers of attorney and probate planning
- Private real estate transactions
- Purchase-Money Security Interests and the Repair and Storage Lien Act (Paper for CBA Annual Institute) – February 2013
- September 2012 - Quoted in Morningstar article on estate freezes
- May 2018 – Speaker, OBA's Secured Transaction Essentials for Business Lawyers, "Purchase-Money Security Interests and the Repair and Storage Liens Act"
- February 2014 – Speaker, Etobicoke Chartered Accountants Association CPD Event (Corporate and Estate Planning)
- October 2013 – Speaker, North York Chartered Accountants Association CPD Event (Corporate and Estate Planning)
- February 2013 – Speaker, CBA Annual Institute on Business Law (Secured Transactions)
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Western University, BA - History and Political Science, 1982
- Western University, LLB - Faculty of Law, 1985
- Admitted to the Ontario Bar, 1987
- BA, LL.B
- Volunteer Coach - Avenue Road Hockey Association
- Participant - Scotiabank Pro-Am for Alzheimer’s Fundraiser Tournament
- Participant - Grand Slam Celebrity Softball Tournament in support of Michael Garron (Toronto East General) Hospital