Bill entered the field of aboriginal law in 1981 as in-house counsel to Grand Council Treaty No. 3 and subsequently served as policy analyst for Chiefs of Ontario. The Ontario Chiefs played a major role in the First Ministers Conferences of 1981-2 which led to the patriation of Canada’s constitution, and appointed Bill to the Assembly of First Nations legal team responsible for negotiating s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982, which recognizes and affirms the aboriginal and treaty rights of Canada’s aboriginal peoples.
Following the constitutional patriation process, Bill set up in private practice in Toronto and later Cobourg, Ontario, and has continued to serve First Nations clients, focussing primarily on land claims, government relations and economic development. Bill is currently the Chair of the OBA Aboriginal Law Section Executive for 2019-2020.
JUNE 28 2019
Bill Taggart appointed Chair of the OBA Aboriginal Law Section Executive.
Congratulations to Bill on his appointment as Chair of the OBA Aboriginal Law Section Executive for 2019-2020. Bill was previously a member-at-large with the OBA Aboriginal Law Section Executive.
- General Legal Counsel, Henvey Inlet First Nation Wind Energy Centre;
- Legal counsel on governance and government relations to many First Nations and First Nations’ organizations, including Chiefs of Ontario, Grand Council Treaty #3, Union of Ontario Indians, Couchiching First Nation, Lac Lac Croix First Nation, Serpent River First Nation, New Post First Nation, Shawanaga First Nation, Magnetawan First Nation.
- Eastern Canadian Aboriginal Land Resource Managment Forum, Toronto, 2015 “Organizing Off-Reserve Joint Ventures Involving Multiple First Nations”, Insight Information;
- Commercial Projects on First Nations Reserves: From Indian Act to First Nations Land Management Act, 2016.
- Chair, OBA Aboriginal Law Section Executive, 2019-2020
- Canadian Bar Association - Ontario
- Trustee, Rotary Club of Cobourg Robert S. Scott Charitable Trust
- BA (Hons) University of Calgary 1974;
- LL.B. Osgoode Hall Law School 1979
- Town of Cobourg Heritage Advisory Committee;
- Past President, Rotary Club of Cobourg