Vern DaRe's practice focuses exclusively on bankruptcy and insolvency law and creditor and debtor rights. He has a broad range of experience which includes advising and appearing in court on behalf of receivers, trustees, monitors, secured creditors, landlords, equipment lessors, unsecured creditors and debtors in commercial reorganization, receivership, bankruptcy, liquidation and enforcement proceedings. Before joining Fogler, Rubinoff LLP, Vern practised at major law firms and insolvency boutiques in Halifax and Toronto. He was also legal counsel with the Manitoba Law Reform Commission and prior to private practice clerked with the Chief Justice of the Italian Constitutional Court.
- Vern writes extensively in the area of bankruptcy and insolvency law, and several of his articles have been cited by the courts. He is co-author with John Honsberger of Bankruptcy in Canada (4th ed.) and Debt Restructuring: Principles and Practice and is also a contributing editor of Falconbridge on Mortgages and O'Brien's Encyclopedia of Forms, chapters "Arrangements with Creditors" and "Bankruptcy and Insolvency".
- Vern is a frequent speaker and author at bankruptcy and insolvency conferences.
- Vern has served on the Board of Governors of Columbus Centre of Toronto and on the Executive of the Ontario Bar Association's Insolvency Law Section.
Awards & Distinctions
- Nominated for the Walter Owen Book Prize in 2011 for the co-authored text, Bankruptcy in Canada Recipient of the Teaching Award of Excellence from Western Law
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1982
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1985
- University of Toronto, LL.M., 1989
- London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc. (Economics), 1990
- Oxford University, B.C.L., Dip. in Law, 1993
- Admitted to Ontario Bar (1991) and Nova Scotia Bar (1996)
- Vern was an Adjunct Law Professor for six years at the University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law, where he taught Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law. He was also an instructor in the Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Admission course.
- Formerly on the Board of Directors of Villa Colombo and a participant in the Baycrest Challenge and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Annual Ride.