Michael Slan conducts a transactional practice with an emphasis on venture capital, mezzanine lending and the implementation of growth strategies for entrepreneurs. In recent years, Michael has focused his practice in the development of utility scale green energy projects. His practice includes acquisitions, refinancing and restructuring, and intergenerational succession. He acts as corporate counsel to both public and closely held companies.
Michael Slan is the Managing Partner of the firm and in that role acts as the Chief Executive Officer of the firm and chair of its Executive Committee. Our existing clients and potential clients are invited to contact Michael at any time to discuss any matter in respect of our firm's capabilities, and practice areas, existing and prospective files.
Michael is a past director of the International Lawyers Network (ILN), an association of over 91 law firms worldwide.
MAY 21 2020
Doing Business in Canada - 2020 Edition
This comprehensive guide provides an overview of the legal framework governing Canadian business operations and outlines key considerations for investing and conducting business in Canada. Find up-to-date information on the following topics:
- Types of Business Organizations
- Directors' Liabilities
- Foreign Investment and Anti-Competition Legislation
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Securities Regulation
- Sales and Transfer Taxes
- Income Taxes
- Customs and Excise Duties
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Incentives
- Immigration Restrictions for Non-Canadians
- Employment Law
- Environmental Law
- Electronic Commerce
- The French Language Requirements in the Province of Quebec
APRIL 24 2020
Michael Slan Discusses what leadership looks like in the face of market downturns and global lockdowns.
On Law Firm ILN-telligence, host Lindsay Griffiths interviews Michael Slan to discuss discuss the importance of communication in this time of pandemic, why deep cuts may not be the best cuts, and what leadership looks like in the face of market downturns and global lockdowns.
Listen to the ILN-telligence podcast episode here: https://anchor.fm/lindsay-griffiths/episodes/Episode-2-Michael-Slan--Fogler-Rubinoff-LLP-ed3aue/a-a20bs02
APRIL 02 2020
Michael Slan Recognized as a 2020 Acritas Star
Acritas Stars are lawyers who are identified as standouts for their quality of work, business and commercial savvy and their ability to turn legal advice into practical solutions. According to Acrtias' client interviews, Michael was recognized for his level of service, attention to detail, quality of work and timeliness of response.
Acritas is a leading source of client and market research for law firms around the world. The Star lawyers included in their annual rankings are identified by senior in-house counsel in large organizations, whom Acritas interviews for its global Sharplegal study.
SEPTEMBER 08 2016
Michael Slan co-authors the Canada chapter in Establishing a Business Entity: An International Guide.
This collaborative electronic guide, produced by the International Lawyers Network (ILN), offers a summary of key corporate law principles in 22 countries across the globe, serving as a quick, practical reference for those establishing an entity in these jurisdictions.
To read the guide, please click here: Establishing a Business Entity: An International Guide.
Reproduced with permission by the International Lawyers Network
JANUARY 21 2016
Announcing Our New Managing Partner
We are pleased to announce Michael S. Slan has been appointed Managing Partner effective January 1, 2016.
Green Energy Projects
- Represented Canadian Solar Solutions in successful applications for 175mW of projects under The Green Energy Act; the acquisition, financing development and sale of 25 utility scale solar projects having a value in excess of $1 billion.
- Counsel to CIT Financial Ltd. in various term lending facilities for solar projects in Ontario
Cross-Border Lending Arrangements
- Counsel to Manulife Capital in cross-border mezzanine financing lending arrangements in telecommunications, distribution and services businesses
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Counsel on both the acquisition and subsequent disposition of Great Lakes Copper Inc., a leading Canadian copper tube manufacturer
- Entering The Canadian Market, A Legal Road Map, 2009 – A Guide to Doing Business in Canada
- Legal Liability of Audit Committee Members, 2002 – Infonex
- Intellectual Property in Business Transactions, 1995 – Infonex
- A review of aspects of intellectual property rights included in M & A transactions
- TLOMA - Managing Partner Roundtable 2015
- Trends in Representations and Warranties, 2006
- Law Society of Upper Canada's Six Minute Business Lawyer Conference
- Due Diligence in Acquisition Transactions, 2002
- Law Society of Upper Canada Conference
- Global Legal Networks, 2011
- Schulich School of Business Apex Conference
- Doing Business in Canada, 1994
- Inc. Magazine – Growing the Business Conference
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- CVCA – Canada's Venture Capital & Private Equity Association
- ACG Toronto – Association for Corporate Growth Toronto
- Secretary - Kingsway Financial Services Inc. (1995 - 2009)
- Director - Asigra Inc.
- Director - International Lawyers Network (1999 - 2016)
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School
Recognized as an Acritas StarTM
- Mariposa Folk Foundation – Director 2007 - Present
- Osteoporosis Society of Canada – Director 1982 - 1986