Karen practises in the firm's Banking and Financial Services Group as well as in its Corporate Commercial Group. She advises on all aspects of commercial/corporate finance, including syndicated lending, subordinate/mezzanine financing, asset-based lending and aircraft financing. She also advises on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, private equity investments, corporate structuring and restructuring, commercial agreements, corporate reorganizations, shareholder matters and aircraft acquisitions and sales. Karen has been involved in various national and cross-border financing and corporate M&A transactions. She regularly acts for lenders and borrowers in a wide variety of industry sectors, including, solar energy, food and beverage processing, aviation, e-commerce, natural health products, garment manufacturing and distribution and telecommunications.
Karen sits on the firm's Associates Committee and has been active throughout her years at Foglers in all aspects of the firm, including its branding and marketing initiatives, its student program, and its continuing professional development program.
- Banking and Financial Services
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Commercial
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Asset Based Lending
- Mezzanine Financing
- Real Estate Financing
- Senior Debt Financing
- Equity and Debt Finance
- Acquisitions & Dispositions
- Energy Financing
- Corporate Reorganizations and Transactions
Counsel to the sellers of BufferBox Inc., an Ontario based high-tech delivery business in connection with its sale to Google Inc.
Solar Capital Ltd.
Counsel to Solar Capital Ltd. and The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, the mezzanine lenders, in connection with its purchase of secured notes issued by Granite Global Solutions Corp.
Canadian Solar Solutions Inc.
Counsel to Canadian Solar Solutions Inc. in connection with the financing of several of its utility scale solar projects
Seroyal International Inc.
Counsel to the sellers of Seroyal International Inc., an Ontario based dietary supplements business, in connection with its sale to Atrium Innovations Inc.
Counsel to the sellers of Sure-Gro Inc., an Ontario based manufacturer and marketer of consumer lawn and garden products in connection with its sale to Premier Tech
- Toronto's Highly Entreprenueurial Moms, March 27, 2012, Toronto Lawn, Speaker
- Conducting Effective Due Diligence, November 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, Osgoode CLE, Speaker
- Independent Legal Advice, October 10, 2012, Fogler Rubinoff LLP, Speaker
- Conflicts of Law, November 28, 2012, Fogler Rubinoff LLP, Speaker
- Mentorship and Effective Delegation, May 14, 2013, Fogler, Rubinoff LLP, Speaker
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
Awards & Distinctions
- Ivan Cleveland Rand Scholarship, Osgoode Hall Law School
- LL.M. Programme in Constitutional Law and Charter Class of 1990 Award, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Cassels, Brock & Blackwell Centennial Prize in Constitutional Law, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Clifton H. Lane Memorial Prize Property Law II, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Academic Excellence Award, University of Western Ontario
- Dean's Honor List, University of Western Ontario
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 1998
Osgoode Hall Law School
- University of Western Ontario
B.A., Philosophy and Political Science, 1994
- Hebrew University, Israel, Overseas Study Program, 1993
Director, Paul Penna Downtown Jewish Day School - 2013