Eric practices corporate and commercial litigation and dispute resolution with a special focus on trust, estate and charity/not-for-profit law. Eric also has extensive experience in construction litigation and real property disputes. Eric has appeared as counsel at all levels of Ontario courts and at the Supreme Court of Canada.
Eric regularly appears before the Toronto Estates List. His broad experience in trust and estate disputes includes passing of accounts, will challenges, guardianships, dependant relief applications, interpretations, variations, rectifications, and related proceedings.
Eric's experience in construction, real property and commercial leasing disputes includes construction lien and trust claims, professional negligence, product liability, mining, land rights, boundary and mortgage enforcement proceedings.
As a corporate commercial litigator, Eric has helped clients with fraud investigation and recovery, shareholder disputes, oppression remedies, debt collection, foreign judgement enforcement and risk management advice for private companies.
JUNE 07 2019
STEP National Conference
Wills & Estates Partner, Eric Hoffstein, will be a panelist on the Practical Advice for Serving Today’s Clients session at the STEP Canada National Conference. The session and multidisciplinary panel will offer practical tips for communicating effectively with older clients and their families. Topics include recognizing and dealing with incapacity and undue influence, defensive note-taking skills, understanding the concerns of the relatives of older clients, assisting a surviving spouse in managing the family assets, communicating effectively with older clients, and communicating with clients who refuse to listen to professional advice.
MAY 03 2019
Seven Partners Recognized in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
We are pleased to announce that seven of our Partners have been named as leaders in their field in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory is an annual ranking of Canadian lawyers in over 40 practice areas, based on peer review surveys plus personal interviews with senior members of the profession. Fogler Rubinoff lawyers profiled in this year's edition include:
- Steven A. Cygelfarb – Property Leasing;
- Michael B. Fraleigh – Medical Negligence;
- Bill Hearn – Advertising & Marketing Law;
- Eric Hoffstein – Estate & Tax Planning and Estate Litigation;
- Martin L. Middlestadt – Property Leasing;
- Kenneth W. Movat – Construction Law; and
- Matthew Norris – M&A, Lawyers to Watch.
NOVEMBER 01 2018
Multiple Wills Alert!
A recent decision of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Re Milne) may affect the Wills of clients who have used multiple Wills to reduce probate fees. If you have Primary and Secondary Wills in place, this court decision may put that planning in jeopardy...
OCTOBER 11 2018
Eric Hoffstein will be presenting at the LSO's Annual Estates & Trusts Summit.
Eric Hoffstein will be presenting on Will Interpretation Issues for Solicitors at the LSO's flagship Estates and Trusts Summit.
Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP)
Called to the Ontario Bar, 2001
University of Windsor, LL.B. 1999
McGill University, Bachelor of Science, 1996
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) – Canada
- Estate Planning Council of Toronto
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- The Advocates' Society
- OBA, Trusts & Estates Law Section
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Owners and Pilots Association
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada: Trusts and Estates
- Repeatedly Recommended as a Leading Practitioner in the Canadian Lexpert® Directory: Estate & Personal Tax Planning - Estate Litigation
Ontario Bar Association Trusts & Estates Law Section, former Executive Committee member