Eric practices corporate and commercial litigation and dispute resolution with a special focus on trust, estate and charity/not-for-profit law. Eric also has extensive experience in construction litigation and real property disputes. Eric has appeared as counsel at all levels of Ontario courts and at the Supreme Court of Canada.
Eric regularly appears before the Toronto Estates List. His broad experience in trust and estate disputes includes passing of accounts, will challenges, guardianships, dependant relief applications, interpretations, variations, rectifications, and related proceedings.
Eric's experience in construction, real property and commercial leasing disputes includes construction lien and trust claims, professional negligence, product liability, mining, land rights, boundary and mortgage enforcement proceedings.
As a corporate commercial litigator, Eric has helped clients with fraud investigation and recovery, shareholder disputes, oppression remedies, debt collection, foreign judgement enforcement and risk management advice for private companies.
AUGUST 21 2019
19 Fogler Rubinoff Partners Ranked in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada
Fogler Rubinoff is pleased to announce that the following 19 lawyers were selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada.
- Don Bourgeois – Gaming Law
- Steven Cygelfarb - Real Estate Law, Commercial Leasing Law
- Milton A. Davis - Legal Malpractice Law
- Albert Engel - Environmental Law
- Michael B. Fraleigh - Health Care Law, Medical Negligence
- Jeffrey B. Goldenberg - Real Estate Law
- Bill Hearn - Advertising and Marketing Law
- Eric N. Hoffstein – Trust and Estates
- Ian N. Kady - Real Estate Law
- Gary Kissack - Aboriginal Law
- Ross MacDougall – Construction Law
- Martin L. Middlestadt - Real Estate Law
- Kenneth W. Movat - Construction Law
- Young Park – Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Karen Rosen - Energy Law
- John Rowinski – Aboriginal Law
- Howard Rubinoff – Banking and Finance Law
- Colleen Spring Zimmerman - Intellectual Property Law
- Mary Wahbi – Trusts and Estates
Best Lawyers compiles its lists of outstanding lawyers by conducting peer-review surveys in which thousands of leading lawyers confidentially evaluate their professional peers.
JUNE 07 2019
STEP National Conference
Wills & Estates Partner, Eric Hoffstein, will be a panelist on the Practical Advice for Serving Today’s Clients session at the STEP Canada National Conference. The session and multidisciplinary panel will offer practical tips for communicating effectively with older clients and their families. Topics include recognizing and dealing with incapacity and undue influence, defensive note-taking skills, understanding the concerns of the relatives of older clients, assisting a surviving spouse in managing the family assets, communicating effectively with older clients, and communicating with clients who refuse to listen to professional advice.
MAY 03 2019
Seven Partners Recognized in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
We are pleased to announce that seven of our Partners have been named as leaders in their field in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory is an annual ranking of Canadian lawyers in over 40 practice areas, based on peer review surveys plus personal interviews with senior members of the profession. Fogler Rubinoff lawyers profiled in this year's edition include:
- Steven A. Cygelfarb – Property Leasing;
- Michael B. Fraleigh – Medical Negligence;
- Bill Hearn – Advertising & Marketing Law;
- Eric Hoffstein – Estate & Tax Planning and Estate Litigation;
- Martin L. Middlestadt – Property Leasing;
- Kenneth W. Movat – Construction Law; and
- Matthew Norris – M&A, Lawyers to Watch.
NOVEMBER 01 2018
Multiple Wills Alert!
A recent decision of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Re Milne) may affect the Wills of clients who have used multiple Wills to reduce probate fees. If you have Primary and Secondary Wills in place, this court decision may put that planning in jeopardy...
OCTOBER 11 2018
Eric Hoffstein will be presenting at the LSO's Annual Estates & Trusts Summit.
Eric Hoffstein will be presenting on Will Interpretation Issues for Solicitors at the LSO's flagship Estates and Trusts Summit.
Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP)
- Called to the Ontario Bar, 2001
- University of Windsor, LL.B. 1999
- McGill University, Bachelor of Science, 1996
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) – Canada
- STEP Toronto branch, Executive Committe Member and Secretary
- Estate Planning Council of Toronto
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- The Advocates' Society
- OBA, Trusts & Estates Law Section, former Executive Committee Member
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, Vice-Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, under the Litigation, Ethics and Malpractice Group
- Canadian Owners and Pilots Association
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada: Trusts and Estates
- Repeatedly Recommended as a Leading Practitioner in the Canadian Lexpert® Directory: Estate & Personal Tax Planning - Estate Litigation