Ashlee is a Partner at Fogler Rubinoff. Ashlee's practice encompasses trade-marks, copyright, social media and domain name laws.
As a lawyer and trade-mark agent, Ashlee brings a breadth of experience assisting clients in a variety of industries for the planning and execution of brand protection domestically and manages global trade-mark portfolios to ensure a cohesive international brand. Ashlee is recognized as a Certified Specialist in Trademarks Law by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Ashlee is an active member of the intellectual property law community and is a committee member with the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and International Trade-marks Association. Ashlee is Past Chair of the Toronto Intellectual Property Group. She is Co-Chair of the Fashion Group International, a mentor with Toronto Fashion Incubator and a legal advisor of Ryerson University's Fashion Zone. She also owns the website www.canadafashionlaw.com.
Ashlee is a frequent guest speaker and published author on trade-marks, domain name and branding law. She has lectured at law schools, universities, cultural institutions, law societies and industry associations throughout North America. She has also been published in numerous magazines and academic publications.
MARCH 23 2017
Legal Advice À La Mode: Dress to Kill Magazine profiles Ashlee Froese
The article profiles Ashlee’s fashion industry expertise and how as a lawyer, she helps educated and empower entrepreneurs to protect their most sacred asset: their creativity.
MARCH 08 2017
International Women's Day Panel: Building a 21st Century Economy in Ontario
Fogler, Rubinoff was proud to host the Ontario Chamber of Commerce's International Women's Day Panel: Building a 21st Century Economy in Ontario featuring Panelists: Joanna Griffits, Founder & CEO Knix Wear Inc., Dr. Linda Maxwell, Executive Director, Biomedical Zone, Ryerson University and Andrea Stairs, Managing Director, eBay Canada. The discussion was Moderated by Fogler, Rubinoff Partner, Ashlee Froese.
MARCH 01 2017
What's "Trending Now" in Digital Advertising & Marketing Law
JANUARY 16 2017
Ashlee Froese has been recognized in the 2017 edition of WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Ashlee Froese has been recognized in the 2017 edition of WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals as a leading trademark lawyer in prosecutions and strategy. The World Trademark Review is the only standalone publication to recommend individual practitioners and their firms exclusively in the trademark field, and identifies the leading players in 71 key jurisdictions globally. According to WTR, Ashlee Froese is “an excellent lawyer: she understands both the business and legal sides of trademarks, and is very commercially minded. She really knows her craft.”
JULY 22 2016
Ashlee Froese Speaks with CBC News on the topic of Copyright Infringement in the Fashion Industry
Ashlee Froese speaks with CBC News on the topic of copyright infringement in the fashion industry and how she works with designers to educate them on the fundamentals of intellectual property law, including how to safeguard their products with copyright and trademark protection. According to Ashlee "there's an onus on designers to understand how intellectual property can help them so they can then protect their greatest asset, which is their creativity."
Click here to read the articles:
JULY 07 2016
Ashlee Froese shares her perspective with the media around the cancellation of Toronto Fashion Week.
Ashlee was interviewed by CBC’s The National in a segment titled ”Lack of funding pulls plug on Toronto Fashion Week” and The Huffington Post also published her opinion piece “Government Support Could Have Saved Toronto Fashion Week”.
JULY 04 2016
Style on Bay Street profiles Ashlee Froese.
Read the coverage in “An Afternoon with Canadian Fashion and Branding Lawyer, Ashlee Froese".
DECEMBER 01 2015
Ashlee Froese quoted in Huffington Post Canada
Ashlee Froese is quoted in The Huffington Post Canada on December 1, 2015 on business considerations in the fashion industry. Click here to read the full article.
NOVEMBER 25 2015
Ashlee Froese quoted in Globe and Mail on business considerations in the fashion industry
NOVEMBER 01 2015
Ashlee Froese interviewed by Metro on Trademark/Fashion Law
- May, 2014, Authored chapter on social media law for the Lexis Nexis Forms & Precedents
- May 2014, Authored article in Lawyer's Weekly on intellectual property implications of 3D printing and scanning: "The Practical and Artistic Sides of 3-D Distinctiveness"
- June, 2013, Authored academic journal for the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada's publication Canadian Intellectual Property Review: "Fashioning Intellectual Property Protection for Canada's Most Fabulous Industry"
- Spring 2013, Authored article in the University of Toronto's University College Alumni magazine: "Fashion Crimes"
- March/April 2013, Authored article in Intellectual Property Institute of Canada's publication Bulletin: "International Trade-mark Issues: Tobacco Packaging"
- May 2013, Authored article in Lawyer's Weekly: "The Future in 3D"
- March 2013, Authored article in The Genteel's magazine: "Seeing Red"
- March 2017, Moderator, Ontario Chamber of Commerce International Women's Day Panel: Building a 21st Century Economy in Ontario
- February 2017, Presenter, What's Trending Now in Digital Advertising & Marketing Law - Online Influencers and Reviews: Disclosing Material Connections
- January 2017, Presenter, Canadian Institute's Annual Advertising & Marketing Law Conference - How to Manage Your Brand in a Difficult Media Environment
- October 2016, Guest speaker and mentor at the OBA's Help Me Help You – A Mentoring Event for the Next Generation of Entertainment Lawyers
- August 2016, Presenter, Keiretsu Academy, IP and Protecting Your Brand: A Business Focused Approach
- June 2014, Guest speaker at Ryerson Fashion Zone on 3D printing
- April 2014, Guest speaker at the John Marshall Law School's Fashion Law conference in Chicago
- March 2014, Guest speaker at Ryerson University's Fashion Zone on protecting designs through intellectual property law
- February 2014,Panelist at Osgoode Hall Law School's IP Career Panel
- February 2014, Guest speaker at the US Federal Bar Association's Fashion Law Seminar in New York City
- September 2013, Guest lecturer at Osgoode Hall Law School's IP Intensive Course on industrial design protection
- June 2013, Moderated a webinar for the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada on 3D printing
- May 2013, Hosted table topic at International Trademarks Association's AGM on protecting fashion designs through intellectual property law
- Ongoing - Repeat presenter in the MaRS Entrepreneurship 101 series as a guest speaker on intellectual property laws
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group, Past Chair
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Committee Member
- International Trade-marks Association, Committee Member
- Toronto Fashion Incubator, Mentor
- Ryerson University's Fashion Zone, Advisor
- Fashion Group International, Co-Chair
- Co-Chair, Fashion Group International
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 2007
- LL.B., 2006
Osgoode Hall Law School
- B.A. (Hons), 2002
University of Toronto
- US Recognized Trade-mark Agent
- Canadian Trade-mark Agent